Tuesday 16 July 2013

My Timeline So Far

I have been lucky enough to live in some pretty amazing cities in the US and in other parts of the world.  And I won't lie... I have loved every second of it.  Not to say there weren't some dodgy times, but for the most part, I had a blast.

Cities I have lived in have included:

Moscow, Russia
Atlanta, GA
Harare, Zimbabwe
Washington, DC
Beijing, China
London, UK

For the most part each time I moved on, it was my choice. I was ready to leave, whether it be for work or school.  And I never thought that London, or the UK, would resonate so much with me.  In fact, the plan was to have a home base in the US and travel overseas for work.  Then in 2002, I decided to run the Dublin marathon.  Along the way I stopped in London to see some friends.  I vividly recall feeling that London was going to be my home.  It was remarkable.  Less then a year later I was living there.

Fast forward ten years and I've relocated back to California.  The difference with this move you see, is that it wasn't necessarily by choice.  I am one of those expats who had to return due to visa constraints.  So after ten wonderful, and complicated, years in London I am back stateside.  And it feels very strange!  I am now faced with having to get to know California again, to know my family again and to know my place in both.  I won't lie it is a bit scary, however it can also be quite funny at times... hence this blog! 

How does one cope with reverse culture shock?  Hopefully this platform will help me with this dilemma, offer some humorous insights for my family and friends, and allow me to laugh a little as I navigate my acclimation back to American life!







No comments:

Post a Comment