Saturday 15 March 2014

Back to the Land of Hugs and Handshakes



When I was staying in the UK as a student in 1992-93, I was greeted in various ways by the locals. Sometimes a single kiss on the cheek, sometimes a handshake or light hug, other times a controlled nod. They seemed to do the same among each other. 


So it felt as though something was a little strange when I resettled in 2004 and people, whether new in my life or old friends, were all greeting me with the double kiss, comme les Francais. 

Qu'est ce qui passe??
I didn't remember people greeting each other in that manner when I was living there in the previous decade, but I went along with it. Since I was in Wales at the time I thought perhaps that was a regional custom. It followed as I moved from Cardiff to Bristol to London.
Apparently the European left-right-smooch custom had swept the nation and there was no going back. 

I suppose I went along with it, but it felt contrived and, in this age of germ-phobias, swine flu and noro-virus, it was just plain hazardous. 


The only place I didn't feel under threat of the left-right-smooch was in Scotland where I was traveling regularly for work in 2010. Their smile-and-nod greeting felt more relaxed and genuine.  


I laughed out loud at a party in London last year when a Frenchman who'd been living in the UK for several years expressed his ennui with the custom. When the British lunged at him with the left-right-smooch he accommodated, but not without saying, "Oh, you want to kiss both sides, now? I never know what they are doing here!"


If a hand-shake feels too formal, there is something that feels very false - even remotely stand-off-ish, by the British-style left-right-smooch. It reminds me of the similar move spoofed in films of wealthy housewives in Beverly Hills. Going through the motions while sizing each other up. "Oh, hello darling - smooch smooch - we must get together soon."


Very few people in my home state of California attempt the left-right-smooch, and most of those who do were raised in Europe and moved here as adults. My own father, aunts and uncles from France and Italy do not partake in the double-kiss. They seem to have let that go during their acculturation to the US, yet they remain demonstrative and cuddly. 


As I start a new job here and meet new neighbors, the interactions between people feel more natural and less pretentious. I know there are some English who disagree and believe most Americans are arrogant hand-shakers. They're certainly entitled to their opinions, though I won't pay any attention until they've actually lived here in the US for a decade -- try that, first - then we'll be on a level playing field to compare notes on culture. 


Cheerio and au-revior, awkward left-right-smooch. 


No comments:

Post a Comment